History

Formed in 1898 by members of the Glencoe Congregational Church, Arden Shore began as a summer respite camp for mothers and children.

Over the years the facility and location has changed, but the driving force has always been to build the well-being of children and families so that everyone has the opportunity to reach their full potential. Operating out of its offices and family center in Waukegan, the agency is uniquely situated to serve the residents of Waukegan and Lake County.
 
Former Chairs of the Board of Directors:
Mrs. Robert Gregory 1898-1905
Mrs. Frank McMullin 1906-11
Mrs. James E. Keith 1912-13
Mrs. Robert Gregory, 1914
Mrs. Philip Post, 1915
Mrs. J. McGregory Adams, 1916
Mrs. Philip Post, 1917
Mrs. Grant Ridgway, 1918-19
Mrs. Charles H. Thorne, 1920-23
Mrs. Joseph Siddal, 1924-25
Mrs. Arthur Tuttle, 1926
Mrs. Fred Wacker, 1927-29
Mrs. George Mason, 1930-34
Mrs. Kingman Douglass, 1935
Mrs. Harry A. Sellery, 1936
Mrs. Herbert Nock, 1937-38
Mrs. John E. Davis, 1939-41
Mrs. Proehl Jaklon, 1942-43
Mrs. George W. Traver, 1944
Mrs. Wyndham H. Channer, 1945
Mrs. Rockwood Edwards 1946-48
Mrs. Ivar N. Nelson, 1949-50
Mrs. Alexander Revell, 1951
Mrs. Lawrence L. Howe, 1952
Mrs. Norbert Thomas, 1953
  Mrs. Lawrence L. Howe, 1954
Mrs. Kenneth Covell, 1955
Mrs. Allen Bulley, 1956
Mrs. Harold Wright, 1957-59
Mrs. Glen Forgan, 1960-63
Mrs. Richard Sears, 1964
Mrs. Jeanne Doyle, 1965-66
Mrs. Virginia Magnus, 1967-71
Mrs. James Donnelly, 1972-74
Mrs. John Bundock, Jr., 1976-77
Mrs. Carol Banick, 1978-81
Mrs. Edna MacMillin, 1982-85
Mrs. Susan Adams, 1986-89
Mrs. Sally Hunner, 1990-92
Mrs. Sally Swoyer, 1993-95
Mr. Samuel Beacham, 1995-96
Mrs. Deborah Chiles, 1997-98
Mrs. Pam Bailey 1999-2000
Mrs. Dottie Rzeszutko, 2001-02
Mr. Roland Eckert, 2003-04
Mr. Keith Schoenfeld, 2005-06
Mr. Charles Jesser, 2007-09
Mr. R. Shawn Heaviland, 2009
Mrs. Dottie Rzeszutko, 2010 to present


Timeline


1898 to 1910
  • A “tent city” overlooking Lake Michigan on the county line was created in 1898 by North Shore women who were members of the Glencoe Congregational Church, giving hundreds of poor women and their children from Chicago’s Gads Hill Settlement House a summer respite and healthy-living camping experience.
  • First large benefit, “County Fair” was held in 1904 on the campgrounds. Permanent kitchen and dining buildings were erected with the proceeds.
  • The organization formally incorporated in 1906 as an Illinois not-for-profit under the name of Arden Shore Association. Child welfare was in its infancy during this era of expansion for Arden Shore.
  • Arden Shore purchased a permanent site in 1907 of 24 acres on Lake Michigan, one mile north of Lake Bluff at a cost of $17,840.
  • Buildings from old site were moved by cutting them into sections and hauling them to Lake Bluff in hayracks. Camp was opened on the new grounds July 2, 1908 with 275 guests.

1910 through the 1920’s

  • A winter camp was started for 125 boys aged 14 to 17 who were refused work permits because of undernourishment. In 13 weeks, the average boy gained 12 pounds.
  • A Chicago Committee was formed and joined the other suburban associations in fund-raising efforts to support the camp.
  • The first Ball took place on the night of the Army-Navy game held in Chicago in 1926. 200 Midshipmen and Cadets were invited, $14,000 was raised, and the success set a precedent for an annual Ball until the Depression Years.

1930’s through the 1940’s

  • The scope of child welfare expanded as an outcome of the Great Depression. Maternal and child health had been the previous focus. Services were now aimed at homeless, dependent and neglected children in danger of delinquency.
  • Arden Shore became a year-round camp for needy and dependent boys. Girls attended only in the summer as the unheated cabins were deemed too cold for the girls in winter.

1950’s to early 1960’s

  • Child welfare laws became more specific and longer term care was considered the proper response to poverty and family disintegration. Arden Shore’s program added an educational component and evolved to focus on the “gifted boy” who was unable to cope and flourish in his own home environment.
  • An administration building, three dormitories, a new kitchen and dining room facilities were built in 1952.
  • The first Arden Shore Bazaar was held and became another fund-raising tradition.
  • An Arden Shore Men’s Board was established to act in an advisory capacity to the Women’s Board. The Men’s Board became active in fundraising, the scholarship program, building and ground contract negotiations and other legal matters. They also provided tickets for sporting and recreational events and outings for the boys.
  • Rosenthal School, an on-campus elementary school for the boys was opened in 1960.

Mid 1960’s to mid 1980’s

  • A further evolution of program shifted focus from the gifted boy to emotionally and behaviorally disturbed boys.
  • Annual Bazaar moved off-campus for the first time in 20 years. Its overwhelming popularity drew crowds that could no longer be accommodated on campus grounds.
  • “Positive Peer Culture”, a new concept in treating behaviorally disturbed adolescents, was introduced to address a major service gap.
  • North Suburban Special Education District took over guidance of the Rosenthal School in 1974 bringing their students to the school to attend alongside Arden Shore’s boys.
  • Kendall Hall educational facility was built in 1976, and Arden Shore reached full capacity with 48 boys receiving treatment and education.
  • The Boys’ Group Home was purchased in North Chicago, to provide a transitional program that prepared the boys to leave Kendall Hall and to live independently.
  • Arden Shore began staffing a Girls Group Home in Highland Park run by the North Suburban Special Education District. The group home provided adolescent girls education and transitional living services.

1990’s

  • Societal and economic changes resulted in an increase of children entering the child welfare system who experienced severe abuse and/or neglect. These children required specialized services in a therapeutic environment. In response the Residential Diagnostic Center was created.
  • Arden Shore Association officially changed its name to Arden Shore Child and Family Services in 1992.
  • The Foster Care Program, the first non-residential program in the organization’s history, was inaugurated to serve children who were removed from their birth parents and placed with relatives due to abuse and neglect.
  • Arden Shore sold and vacated its lakefront campus property as a result of a shift in the State of Illinois child welfare philosophy away from large institutional residences to less restrictive environments and to efforts to reduce the number of children in the system. In its place, the Lake Bluff and Lake Villa community-based group homes were opened in 1997 and the administrative offices moved to Vernon Hills in 1998.
  • The in-home counseling program was started to provide mental health services to children and their families in their home – the first of its kind in Lake County.
  • In 1999, the Lake Bluff Group Home was closed and the property sold. In 2000 the leased Lake Villa Group Home was moved to a new home purchased in Waukegan.

2001 - Today

  • Arden Shore is accredited by the Council on Accreditation in 2001, attesting that Arden Shore meets the highest national best-practice standards in servicing abused and neglected children.
     
    In 2002, Arden Shore introduces bilingual child welfare services to Latino families in Lake County to begin to meet the needs of this growing population. Services included counseling and the Intact Program aimed at keeping families together who are identified by DCFS as at risk of separation for abuse or neglect.
  • Arden Shore merges with Family Services of North Lake County in 2003 and begins providing general counseling services for individuals, couples and families at a new location in Waukegan. With this merger Arden Shore becomes a United Way funded agency. The Agency adds two more sites with offices located in Waukegan and Lake Villa.
  • Arden Shore receives its first funding ever from the Department of Public Health in 2006 to provide community health and prevention services to the Latino community.
  • In 2011 Arden Shore, with a grant received from the State of Illinois, purchased, renovated and moved into its new Headquarters and Family Center in Waukegan.
 

 Related:

 

 
Arden Shore Child and Family Services
329 North Genesee Street  --  Waukegan, Illinois 60085  --  ph: (847) 623-1730  --  fax: (847) 623-1733
© 2011 Arden Shore Child and Family Services. All rights Reserved.